Anonymous asked: why do i get the feeling something bad's going to happen to bofur in the last hobbit film?
Well obviously, Nonny, you haven’t read the book, but I don’t blame you, lots of people want to see the film before (I’ve done that myself, but in this case, waiting 3 whole years was a bit too much). Or maybe you won’t read it at all, that’s cool too, you’re like Loki, Nonny, you do what you want !
So let’s take Bofur’s history so far :
In AUJ :
- You don’t really know anything about him except that he’s funny & a good
mandwarf. His comment about Smaug, in Bag End, could be perceived as a bit mean, but I think he’s just playful & for me it’s more a proof that he immediately considers Bilbo as one of their own & speaks to him as he would any of the other dwarves of the company.
- When he catches Bilbo trying to leave, he doesn’t argue for hours, he understands Bilbo & I think, behind his huge & pretty smile, he knows this quest isn’t going to be easy, they are going to risk their life again & if Bilbo can get to safety before that happens, Bofur will gladly give him the chance, because he cares about him (as he does for all the company).
- They are hunted by Orcs, they end up in a strange house & then in a very much stranger forest, they almost got eaten by giant spiders, they are captured by Elves & when they finally escape, still hunted by Orcs, they end up in Laketown, where after being caught & then celebrated, Bofur misses the departure & has to stay in the town.
- Now at the very end of this film Kili seems to be safe, thanks to Tauriel & to Bofur too, because he went searching for the herbs she needed.
- But the Dragon is coming.
- Putting apart what I know from the book, I think we can all agree that, even if Kili is safe, he will need at least some days to fully recover & travel.
- Smaug is on his way & won’t wait to attack.
It’s not going to be a pleasant time for Laketown & a lot of people we care for are still there. Oin, Fili, Bofur & Tauriel will have to protect Bard’s children & Kili against fire & death…
- Now, if they survive this, there still is the famous Battle of the Five Armies coming their way (not to mention the journey to reach Erebor, you never know, one could always trip on a twig & break ones neck !). You might not know who the Five Armies are, but surely you suspect the dwarves are going to be part of it !
- So yeah, chance of death again !
Now given all that, why would Tolkien &/or PJ kill someone as amiable as Bofur ? (*because that’s what people DO !* Shut up Moriarty !) I actually don’t know, I can understand some deaths, but not all of them, sometimes it just seems to say “you like this character ? *stabs him in the back* there you go” *cries*
I do understand your fear for Bofur, Nonny, I quite scared myself too actually ! He might be wounded, it might be worse, there’s still plenty of time for this to happen & as I’m not one to give spoilers to others, I’m not going to tell you what will happen !
I know, all this jibber jabber for nothing ! I’m cruel with you Nonny but I felt inspire by your question ! :)
I’m not heartless thought, if you want to know the truth, come un-Nonny-fied to my askbox & I’ll tell you in private ;)